I have been natural a little over two years now, however I didn’t actually start my natural hair journey until a year ago. You can read about how my journey began on the tab on the home page. Since starting this journey, I have tried many products. Some worked well and of course some failed drastically. What I’ve learned is that there is no cookie cutter recipe for maintaining all natural hair. Everyone’s hair is different and what works for one may not work for another. The key to having healthy hair that thrives, flourishes, and grows is knowing the hair that grows from your scalp.
Now, becoming an expert on my hair has not been an easy feat. There have been many ups and downs, along with times of frustration, panic, and despair to say the least. Many times I considered throwing in the towel and going back to relaxers. However, I stuck it out and I’m glad that I did. By no means do I know all there is to know about this mane on my head. I’m still learning everyday. But…
…I have learned there are products that have worked well for me and caused my hair to thrive. These products are staples that I absolutely can’t live without. I use these religiously and at this point in time, I don’t see myself replacing.
1) Water – While it is not necessarily a “product”, good ol’ H2O is a must. My hair drinks up moisture, so I water my hair twice a day – in the morning and at night.
2) Apple Cider Vinegar – ACV rinses are a part of every wash day. I’ve found that it keeps the balances the pH level of my hair and makes my curls pop, while adding luster.
3) Aussie Moist Conditioner – I use this primarily for my leave-in. It has great slip and moisturizes my hair well. I also love the sweet scent.
4) Herbal Essences Hello Hydration – This provides the same function as Aussie Moist. I uses them both interchangeablely. This creamy, blue conditioner also has a lovely scent and makes my curls look gawgeous!
5) Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) – This has proven to be the absolute best sealer for my hair. It penetrates the cuticle well and does not sit on my hair.
When I use these products consistently, I find very few curly hairs on my bathroom floor and sink. Hair shedding is minimal.
Now, there are some products that I use faithfully in addition to the above. I won’t say that they are irreplaceable, but for the moment they are working well in my hair maintenance regimen.
1) Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO) – I use JBCO in my hot oil treatments, as well as on my edges. I also put it in my spray bottle.
2) Elasta QP Mango Lime Curling Pudding – This pudding has worked well in adding moisture to my hair and defining my curls.
3) Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie – I use this interchangeablely with the Elasta QP. It also defines my curls well.
4) Aloe Vera Juice/Gel – I use this in my spray bottle as well. It’s supposed to prevent thinning, shedding, and breakage. The gel adds shine.
5) Olive Oil EcoStyler Gel – This gel provides the hold I need to maintain my twist/braid outs without the sticky, tacky residue and crunch factor. It holds well while leaving my curls soft.