The Carrier Oils
1. Almond Oil: is light, non-greasy, and fast absorbing oil that also lubricates and conditions the hair; nourishes hair, smoothes hair cuticles to control shedding, promotes hair growth and thickness, prevents hair loss, and boosts shine.
2. Apricot Kernel Oil: adds shine and moisture making it great for dry hair.
3. Avocado Oil: is light and vitamin rich with Vitamins A, B D, E, and potassium. It is very nourishing to the hair; excellent for moisturizing, deep conditioning, strengthening hair, and boosting shine.
4. Castor Oil: is a wonderful humectant. It attracts and retains moisture to the hair, making it a great emollient when used with other oils; thickens hair, promotes hair growth, prevents thinning, moisturizes, helps reduce split ends, helps to tame frizz, and prevents scalp infections
5. Coconut Oil: softens hair and conditions the scalp. It is also good for strengthening, thickening, moisturizing, and nourishing damaged hair by preventing protein loss; prevents hair damage.
6. Emu Oil: is highly penetrating and will not clog pores. It contains Vitamins A and E and has been used to reverse the effects of hair loss.
7. Grapeseed Oil: is a light, odorless, and vitamin rich oil which adds moisture and shine. It also contains a large amount of linoleic acid which is essential for healthy cells.
8. Hazelnut Oil: is medium weight and fast absorbing. Great moisturizing oil.
9. Hempseed Oil: adds gloss and manageability to hair; loaded with essential fatty acids that moisturizes and replenishes; great for dry scalp and damaged hair; has good regenerative properties and absorbs well
10. Jojoba Oil: is similar to the hair’s natural oil and inhibits overproduction of the sebaceous glands making it great for oily scalps. It moisturizes the hair and is great for hair loss caused by breakage.
11. Neem Oil: is an antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiseptic. It can fight and treat lice, cure ringworm, and treat many other scalp disorders.
12. Olive Oil: strengthens and nourishes the hair. It helps frizzy hair by smoothing the cuticles and adding shine. Olive oil is used prevent dry scalp and dandruff.
13. Safflower Oil: great for dry, chemically treated hair; nourishes hair, smoothes hair cuticles to control shedding, promotes hair growth and thickness by moisturizing and stimulating blood circulation, prevents hair loss, and boosts shine.
13. Sesame Oil: is a light antibacterial oil great for dry scalp. The oil penetrates quickly and nourishes the hair. Regular application may also result in darker hair.
14. Wheat Germ Oil: softens hair, soothes and nourishes irritated scalp, decreases thinning, and leaves a healthy scalp. It is high in Vitamins A, D, and E, protein, and essential fatty acids.
Common Oil Combinations & Their Benefits
Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Jojoba Oil – great hair moisturizer
Grapeseed Oil, Jojoba Oil – great oily hair moisturizer
Castor Oil, Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter – nourishes and moisturizes hair
Avocado Oil, Castor Oil, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Sesame Oil – nourishes, moisturizes, and strengthens hair
Grapeseed Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Avocado Oil, Castor Oil, Olive Oil – nourishes, moisturizes, strenthens, and thickens hair
Thyme, Rosemary Oil, Cedarwood Oil, Lavender Oil – promotes hair growth
Tea Tree Oil, Peppermint Oil, Rosemary Oil – dandruff treatment
Cedarwood Oil, Clary Sage Oil, Lavender Oil – great for weak, damaged hair; stimulates scalp and promotes growth; prevents dandruff
Jojoba Oil, Clary Sage Oil, Cedarwood Oil – great for dry hair; moisturizes the hair and prevents breakage and hair loss; stimulates the scalp and promotes hair growth
Burdock Root Oil (Bur Oil) – used to restore hair; promotes healthy hair by relieving scalp irritations and improving blood circulation to the hair follicle; used to reduce and reverse hair thinning
Carrot Oil – contains Vitamins A and E; moisturizes hair; promotes hair growth and can prevent split ends, which helps to retain the growth. If you use carrot oil regularly, it can strengthen and protect your hair and often makes your hair shinier
Cedarwood Oil – stimulates the scalp and promotes hair growth
Chamomile Oil – great for dry, brittle hair; adds shine and softness to hair, and soothes itchy scalp; fights and prevents bacteria and fungus
Clary Sage Oil – promotes hair growth and stimulates the scalp
Geranium oil – strengthens hair
Lavender – great for weak hair and for preventing dandruff and itching; effective in eliminating hair loss and breakage as well as in improving hair growth.
Lemon Oil – great for oily hair; prevents scalp dryness and dandruff
Moroccan Argan Oil – moisturizes, nourishes, and provides antioxidants to hair
Myrrah – great for dry sensitive scalp; helps treat dry scalp and dandruff problems
Peppermint Oil – works well on weak, heat damaged hair; improves hair growth, and can help stimulate blood circulation to hair roots; allows the hair to get proper nourishment for longer, stronger hair
Rosemary Oil – relieves dry, flaky scalp; fight premature graying; increases shine; gently cleanses the hair, due to its antibacterial properties; stimulates and improves circulation of the scalp encouraging hair growth
Sandalwood oil – helps with dry ends, and adds fragrance to the hair
Tea Tree Oil – great for dull hair and flaky scalps; helps prevent bacterial and fungal problems; unblocks the sebaceous glands and stimulates the flow of the scalp’s moisturizing oil to get rid of dead skin cells, which makes it perfect for dull, lifeless hair
Thyme Oil – prevents shedding and thinning; stimulates hair growth
Ylang Ylang Oil – will stimulate the follicles and even help treat split end; penetrate deep into your hair follicles to provide moisture; soften hair; thickens hair
** This blog post was written and compiled after a vast amount of research, using several sources, including but not limited to: Beginner’s Guide to Essential and Carrier Oils, WebMD.com, oilessential.com, blackhair101.com